CALCIUM CHLORIDE – DOWFLAKE™ Xtra
DOWFLAKE™ Xtra Ice Melt Volume (at 20 degrees F), within the first 20 minutes:
- 33% more than NaCl
- 27% more than MgCl2 flake
- 2X more than Urea
- 5X more than KCl
- 9X more than CMA
- Conventional 77-80 percent flake melts 7.7 pounds of ice per pound used. DOWFLAKE™ Xtra 83-87 melts 8.5 pounds of ice per pound used.
DOWFLAKE™ Xtra 83-87 percent calcium chloride flake goes the extra mile for better dust control. With approximately 10 percent more calcium chloride than conventional 77 percent calcium chloride flake products, DOWFLAKE™ Xtra gives you greater pound-for-pound dust control than competing calcium chloride formulations and other materials.
DOWFLAKE XTRA is hygroscopic, drawing moisture from the air, which may eliminate the need to mix it with water depending on conditions.
OxyChem calcium chloride flake outperforms other materials for dust control:
- Providing similar performance-but requires 35% less calcium chloride flake than magnesium chloride flake,thereby significantly reducing your costs.
- Doesn’t form a crust or fragment under traffic like some oils and emulsions.
- Has greater, more predictable performance and less environmental impact than natural and processed brines.
- Has a slower evaporation rate than surfactants and water, which evaporate too quickly to be effective.
CALCIUM CHLORIDE (CaCl2)
- Melts to -25° F
- Is the fastest, most effective ice melt available
- Premium-priced, similar to magnesium chloride, but pound-for-pound, melts twice as much ice
- Is hygroscopic, drawing moisture from the air and exothermic, creating heat to accelerate the melting process
- Vegetation, corrosion and concrete performance compares favorably to competing ice-melt materials, including magnesium and potassium chloride.
DOWFLAKETM Xtra 83-87 percent calcium chloride: “Xtra” Concentration for “Xtra” Ice-Melting Speed
Use DOWFLAKE™ Xtra calcium chloride by itself or mix it with rock salt and abrasives to give them extra power.
Calcium chloride’s high-performance properties make it superior to plain salt and other ice-melting materials.
DOWFLAKE™ Xtra calcium chloride:
- Works across a wider range of temperatures than other ice melting materials.
- Works much faster than rock salt alone.
- Melts ice faster and at lower temperatures than urea and potassium chloride.
- Melts ice faster than magnesium chloride, which means that more magnesium chloride-at added cost-is needed to match the performance of DOWFLAKE™ Xtra calcium chloride.
- Here’s the performance comparison. DOWFLAKE™ Xtra melts ice:
- 33% faster than NaCl
- 27% faster than MgCl2 flake
- 2X faster than Urea
- 5X faster than KCl
- 9X faster than CMA
Conventional 77-80 percent flake melts 7.7 pounds of ice per pound used. DOWFLAKE™ Xtra 83-87 melts 8.5 pounds of ice per pound used.
DOWFLAKE™ Xtra calcium chloride provides additional benefits when it is mixed with other materials. It helps:
- Make rock salt work faster and at lower temperatures.
- Keep abrasives like sand and cinders manageable and free flowing at cold temperatures.
- Imbed abrasives in ice to prevent them from being bounced off the surface by traffic.
- Whether used by itself, with rock salt, or with abrasives, DOWFLAKE™ Xtra calcium chloride not only melts quicker, it also makes it easier for you to mechanically remove snow and ice by penetrating and loosening it.
SALES SPECIFICATION SHEET – Calcium Chloride – Dry – Flake
™ DOWFLAKE is a Trademark of The Dow Chemical Company